How To browse the Reddit app anonymously involves switching on the Anonymous Browsing feature. The anonymous browsing feature allows Reddit users to browse without keeping records of their searches and browsing history.
Sometimes Reddit users’ accounts are penalized for breaking the content policy. Common reasons for such penalties include harassment or vote manipulation. That’s why every user must know how to browse Reddit anonymously. That’s the only way to access Reddit without fear of restrictions or suspension of the account.
To do this, you must switch to incognito mode or Anonymous browsing. Activities done anonymously on Reddit can’t be linked with your account or seen by your Reddit profile followers. However, you’ll be restricted from some Reddit features such as upvoting, downvoting, and commenting until you log into your account.
Read below to learn how to browse Reddit anonymously.
Can You Browse Reddit Anonymously?
One can access Reddit both on the web and with the official app. This is possible whether or not you have a Reddit account. Such browsing is done anonymously and cannot be associated with any account.
Since you’re not connected to any account when you browse Reddit anonymously, you’ll be restricted from some app features. They are as follows:
- Upvoting posts or comments
- Downvoting posts or comments
- Commenting on posts
- Creating posts
While browsing anonymously, Reddit does not save your preferences or keep records of your browsing history. Despite the limitations mentioned above, you’ll still view posts and read comments on posts.
How To Browse Reddit App Anonymously
You can browse Reddit anonymously using a Mac, PC, android, or iOS. This can be done by switching to the Anonymous Browsing mode. This mode allows you to browse and view all the available content. However, anonymous browsing on Reddit is usually read-only.
Read-only means that you won’t be able to participate in critical features of the app. You can browse Reddit anonymously on your desktop or phone browser and the official app. Anonymous browsing on a desktop also benefits from blocked third-party downloads and cookies.
How Does Reddit Anonymous Browsing Work?
When you browse Reddit anonymously, your browsing activity and history aren’t associated with your main Reddit account. As such, you won’t be able to access any actions or features associated with the account.
Such features include:
- Your Reddit home feed
- Communities you’ve joined
- Upvoting on posts or comments
- Downvoting on posts and comments
- Messaging and chatting
- Mod tools
- Creating posts
- Broadcasting on Reddit public access network (RPAN)
After you switch from the anonymous browsing mode, your browsing history and searches will be cleared. This means you won’t find them when you check your history while using Reddit regularly with an account sign-in.
While browsing Reddit anonymously, the anonymous browsing session will be terminated if you stay inactive for more than 30 minutes. This will return you to the account that you were using before switching to the anonymous mode.
Critical Features Of Reddit Anonymous Browsing Mode
- Reddit does not save your search or browsing history
- Activities done while you’re anonymous can’t be used by Reddit to personalize your recommendations
- You don’t get personalized notifications as a result of activities done while browsing Reddit anonymously
- When you sign in, your incognito activity does not associate with your Reddit account.
How To Switch On Anonymous Browsing On Reddit
For Mobile Devices (Android And Ios)
Browsing the Reddit app anonymously requires a few basic steps. The steps are the same irrespective of whether you’re browsing on an iOS or Android device. Also, you can see the demonstration on this YouTube video. The steps are as follows:
- Launch the Reddit app on your smartphone.
- Tap on your account avatar at the top of the screen to open the account menu.
- On the line under your username is a downward-facing arrow. Tap on it to open a menu.
- From the menu, select Anonymous Browsing to switch it on.
Once you’ve switched it on, that’s all it takes to start browsing Reddit anonymously. To get back into your normal browsing mode, follow the steps below.
- Launch the app.
- Select the downward-facing arrow icon on the line below your username.
- On the following screen, select your profile, and it will switch back to your normal shape.
How To Browse Reddit Anonymously On Desktop
Until now, Reddit doesn’t have an anonymous browsing feature for desktop users. However, we found a way to bypass that – thanks to the incognito mode on some browsers. If you’re browsing Reddit on Google Chrome, below are the steps to browse Reddit anonymously:
- Launch your browser
- Please navigate to the three black dots icon at the top right corner of the screen and click on it.
- On the following page, click on the New Incognito window option.
- After that, open Reddit, but don’t sign into your account. Just browse the site on the go.
Pros And Cons Of Reddit Anonymous Browsing Mode
- You can browse without getting bombarded with targeted ads.
- The incognito mode allows you to browse Reddit even if you have certain restrictions or bans on your main account.
- You can browse any topic you don’t want to interfere with your feed when browsing your main account.
- Anonymous Reddit browsers can see content previously unavailable to their main account due to their preferences.
- Your activity cannot be tracked or linked to your main redid account.
- While browsing Reddit anonymously, you won’t see content based on your account preferences.
- Anonymous browsers on Reddit cannot comment or create posts.
- The anonymous browsing mode restricts users from upvoting or downvoting posts or comments.
You can browse Reddit apps anonymously by turning on the Anonymous browsing mode. This mode helps to keep your browsing activity private and prevents Reddit from saving your browsing history or searches. Also, you can view subreddits from which your Reddit account has restrictions.
However, some limitations come with browsing Reddit anonymously. For example, you won’t be able to upvote, downvote, or comment on posts. If you’re using your desktop browser to access the app, simply browse Reddit on an incognito tab without login into your main account.